The Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education recognise students, teachers, support officers, schools and education partners (volunteers, mentors and organisations) who demonstrate an outstanding and innovative contribution to STEM education in Queensland.
The awards are named after Professor Peter Doherty, a Brisbane-born Nobel Prize winning scientist who was educated at Indooroopilly State High School and the University of Queensland.
In 2015, the renowned Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in Science and Science Education expanded and the awards became the Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education. This acknowledges STEM education as a strategic priority for the Department of Education.
Nominations for 2018 are now open
Nominations are open for the 2018 Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education. This year awards will be presented, across six categories, to the value of $125,000.
The awards categories are:
- Outstanding Senior STEM Student Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Senior STEM Student Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding Teacher of STEM Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding STEM Support Officer Awards – $5,000 each
- STEM Education Partnership Awards – $5,000 each
- Outstanding School STEM Awards – $5,000 each.
For more information, please refer to the website.
Peter Doherty Award Winners